Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Quinoa-Roni :)


I have had some quinoa sitting in my fridge for about a month now, and I wasn't yet adventurous enough to try it until today. I am so glad I did. This is great to add into the rotation instead of rice, polenta, or potatoes. It kind of reminds me of couscous...I'm just imagining it now with parmesean and sauteed spinach...that'll be next! Anyway, the flavor of this kind of reminds me of rice-a-roni, but much healthier, considering quinoa has the highest amount of protein of any grain and also is a complete protein at that!



1 small onion diced small

2 cloves garlic chopped (about 2 tsp)

1 tbl coconut oil, olive oil, or butter

1 Cup Quinoa, rinsed(I used a coffee filter)

2 Cups water, plus 2 tsp beef/chicken Better than Boullion,

OR 2 cups broth

thyme to taste, I used about 1/4 tsp dried

2 tbl fresh chopped parsley, or more if you like

1 tbl lemon juice


saute onions in fat of choice, add garlic and saute for a minute more. Add quinoa and toast. Once toasted add water plus boullion or broth and thyme. Bring to boil stirring a few times. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until most of the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in parsley and lemon juice. Enjoy!!

No comments: