Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Cranberry Nut Bread

Originally found at glutenfreemommmy.com

2 cups gluten free flour (I used even amounts of sorghum, tapioca, and brown rice. I did not like teff flour in this bread for some reason- maybe it is just me!)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 Tablespoon orange zest (when I mix it in the flour I make sure it looks evenly distributed and add more if I need it)
3/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed (store-bought will not achieve the right flavor)
1/4 cup butter or butter substitute, melted
2 eggs (I found that the bread held together better with two eggs)
1 cup whole cranberries (I tried the bread with both the cranberries whole and sliced in half and liked the cranberries added to the bread whole best)
3/4 cup- 1 cup walnuts chopped- (I added 3/4 to the batter and another 1/4 cup to the top of the bread before I put it in the oven)
a little raw sugar for the top
DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a med. bowl, sift all the dry ingredients together. Mix all the liquid ingredients together in a separate bowl. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. Add the whole cranberries and 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts. Spoon the batter into a greased loaf pan (top with raw sugar and more walnuts if desired) and bake for about 45 minutes. Once the bread is done, let it cool for 10 minutes in the pan before releasing to your cooling rack.
Note: I tried this bread both warm and the next day at breakfast. The flavors of this bread are truly better the next day. I would make it late the night before you want to eat it. Just make sure it is tightly wrapped! Freeze the rest for unexpected company or for a treat to take to Christmas parties.

No comments: